Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Individual Evolution

The individual evolution is part of my application of cause and effect. In honesty, it is the overarching theme in everything that I intend to write in the blog, because it is something that I have always asked myself about.

I always wondered what makes an individual, what makes me different from you, but, at the same time, what makes us the same. What is the combining thread, and what differentiates the two of us.

The individual evolution is simple a connection to Darwin's metaphor, his understanding of the species that inhabit our planet as ever-changing. Evolution, definitively, is constant change. It is the idea that the universe never stops changing, that species never stop changing. What I simply mean to say, in calling it "the Individual Evolution" is that we are constantly changing.

There is a Buddhist idea that, simply put, states that I am not the same person from one moment to the next, that I am constantly a different person, even though I inhabit the same physical being over the course of a human lifetime.

I know that I am different from one moment to the next, because I know that I grow gradually, I know that, in my own hindsight, I am a different kind of creature, with different intention, different motivations and different ideas, than I was when I was younger. I know that, in time, my intentions will change, and so will my motivations and my ideas. I also know that these things happen from moment to moment, gradually.

I know that because the hairs on my face grow slowly, and I never feel them growing because they are always growing, and I cannot differentiate between when they are and are not growing, because the latter never happens.

It seems strange, but I know that I cannot explain what changing feels like, because I have nothing to compare it to. Just like I have no idea how to explain what it, paradigmatically, feels like to be alive, because I have nothing to compare it to. I can say how being alive in this moment is different from being alive in moments previous, but I do not know what is paradigmatic about them all.

Before I really started thinking about it, I just thought about this Buddhist understanding as an understanding, something that couldn't be explained, but simply was. I later came to the reasoning above as the best means of explanation.

The question, though, is what changes me. What are the causes that effect the changes in who I am. My answer was specific and bland. Everything. Everything that I go through and experience in my life changes me in some way, whether that is because it leads me into the next moment or because it is a memory that I will carry with me forever. Every experience I has changes my life and who I am, whether I remember ir, whether I think about it's specificities, or not.

I will, hopefully, be able to help you understand why every detail in every moment of your life effects you, and how everything that you do affects the world at large. But for now I simply wanted to give you a glimpse into what the individual evolution is, what it means and what it does.

No comments: